Re: color-bar legend for the LisContourPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123726] Re: color-bar legend for the LisContourPlot
  • From: Dan <dflatin at rcn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 05:53:54 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 15, 4:54 am, Dan <dfla... at rcn.com> wrote:
> On Dec 14, 6:03 am, Dan <dfla... at rcn.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 9, 5:55 am, "Karamiarokhloo, M.P. (Mehdipasha)"
>
> > <M.P.Karamiarokh... at uu.nl> wrote:
> > > Dear All,
>
> > > I am using Mathematica 7 and have difficulties to plot the ListContourPlot
> > > of ocean data with a neat color bar (legend).
> > > For example if I have a temperature field range between {-2,30}, and I use
> > > the ColorFunction Rainbow,
> > > I cannot include a color-bar which has the same number of contours as the contourplot, and it does not show the related numbers for each color-shade.
> > > The ShowLegend function of Mathematica is very primitive.
> > > Has any body any suggestion?
>
> > > Thanks you.
> > > P.Karami
>
> > I like using Grid for this, and in general for constructing compound
> > plots. For the legend, I use a trick I learned from David Park in this
> > forum. Just make another contour plot. This gives you great control
> > over choice and labeling of the contours. Here is a simple example
> > where I have identified the various layout elements explicitly.
>
> > With[{
> >   zmin=-2,zmax=2,delz=0.5,datasize={10,10},
> >   plotW=300,plotH=300,legendW,
> >   ticklblW=30,ticklblH,grout=2,
> >   colorset="ArmyColors"},
>
> >   Module[{data,contours},
> >     contours=Range[zmin,zmax,delz];
> >     data=RandomReal[{zmin,zmax},datasize];
>
> >     Grid[{{
> >       ListContourPlot[data,InterpolationOrder->3,Contours->contours,
> >         ImagePadding->{{ticklblW+grout,grout},{ticklblH+grout,grout}},
> >         ImageSize->{plotW+ticklblW+2grout,plotH+ticklblH+2grout},
> >         AspectRatio->plotH/plotW,
> >         ColorFunction->colorset],
> >       ContourPlot[y,{x,0,1},{y,zmin,zmax},Contours->contours,
> >         ImagePadding->{{grout,ticklblW+grout},{ticklblH+grout,grout}},
> >         ImageSize->{legendW+ticklblW+2grout,plotH+ticklblH+2grout},
> >         AspectRatio->plotH/legendW,
> >         FrameTicks->{{None,contours},{None,None}},
> >         ColorFunction->colorset]
> >     }}]
> >   ]
> > ]
>
> > -- Dan
>
> Somehow some specific assignments went missing in this post. Since I
> copied and pasted into the window I don't know how that could have
> happened, but use:
>
> legendW
> ticklblH
>
> to get the figure as I intended.
>
> -- Dan

I don't know why my postings are getting mangled. This is pretty
frustrating. In words, just to avoid whatever mechanism is going on:

set legendW to 20
set ticklblH to 20

the ticklblH (20) and ticklblW (30) are the pixel space allocated for
each numeric tick label. Of course, legendW (20) is the width of the
legend.

As an aside to the moderator, I would appreciate some guidance as to
how to avoid these mysterious modifications to my posts.

-- Dan