Re: precision of y-axis values in plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123739] Re: precision of y-axis values in plot
  • From: Nathan <nhrollins at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 02:42:22 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 16, 4:04 am, Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychu... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Dec 15, 9:01 pm, Nathan <nhroll... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm relatively new to Mathematica.  I'm having a problem with the
> > precision of the y-axis values of some of my plots.  All of the data
> > labels show up as "2422.3", which isn't very informative since they're
> > all the same.  I need the plot to show two more decimal point values
> > (ex: "2422.305").  I've looked high and low and can't find any way to
> > do this.  Any ideals?  Thanks!
>
> > Nathan.
>
> What you need to do is make a tick function and wrap NumberForm around
> your labels and set the number of decimal points that you want. If you
> do a search on here for tick functions and NumberForm you should find
> many examples.
>
> Mike

Mike,

Thank you for your help.  Forgive my ignorance, but what should I put
in the NumberForm function?  Here's the plot command I'm using:

plot2T :=  Plot[LT2[T, \[Lambda]], {T, min2, max2}, Frame -> True,
FrameLabel -> {{"Task Execution Time (s)",      ""}, {"Optimal CSCP
Checkpoint Interval (s)", ""}},   FrameStyle -> {{Black, White},
{Black, White}},   Axes -> {False, False}]

Based on what you said, I assume I should add something like the
following to the Plot function:
Tick -> NumberForm[ N[?], 8]

However, I'm not sure what should replace the ?.  Will you please
indulge a newbie with a specific example?  Thanks!