Is it possible to use a regular expression in the notebook Edit->Find?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123776] Is it possible to use a regular expression in the notebook Edit->Find?
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 07:14:52 -0500 (EST)

V 8.04,

Many times, I'd like to search the code for something, but
it would have been nice, if I could use regular expression
to search for, instead of just a literal string.

This might become important for very large code,
as it will make finding something faster. Something like
in emacs or vi and such other editors. As explained in
this page

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RegularExpression

Is there a trick to do this in Mathematica now, I could not
find one, and if there is not, any chance of this being added to
future version?

Since Mathematica itself has a RegularExpression[] command,
may be it should not be too hard to integrate this in the
Edit->Find?

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/RegularExpressions.html

Thanks,
--Nasser