Re: 4 Gb are not enough ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123851] Re: 4 Gb are not enough ...
  • From: yitzhakbg <yitzhakbg at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 07:12:12 -0500 (EST)

I've been grappling with the same issue. I'm trying to run on a machine with 512MB, Linux with a minimal (LXDE) desktop. Seems really strange to me that it can't even initialize.
It says:
Could not create the Java machine.

I added:

Needs["JLink`"];
ReinstallJava[JVMArguments -> "-Xmx100m"];

to $UserBaseDirectory/Kernel/init.m

I fiddled with the values up and down. No luck. Even went into the code in
SystemFiles/Links/JLink/Kernel/InstallJava.m

and changed the extraArgs default. Nothing seems to help.
Doesn't sound reasonable to me that Mathematica need so many hundreds of megabytes just to start up. Any ideas?