Re: beginner question regarding units in equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123928] Re: beginner question regarding units in equations
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 07:09:28 -0500 (EST)

On 2011.12.29. 8:53, RDog wrote:
> I am a very new user so I apologize in advance if this question is too
> basic for the group.
>
> Many civil engineering equations are empirically derived and therefore
> the units dont work out exactly. How does Mathematica handle units in
> equations and especially in empirical equations where there may be
> parameters set to weird exponetial powers. Does the program use units
> at all in equations or does the user need to keep track?

Mathematica does not know about units.  It does not keep track of units
by default.  So you don't need to worry about units not matching.

There is the Units` package which provides some limited support for
units, but I have never used it seriously.  I think that not using units
explicitly in your program will be the most productive way to work.

--
Szabolcs Horvát
Mathematica QA site proposal: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/37304