Re: Plot in a Module

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123933] Re: Plot in a Module
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 02:00:41 -0500 (EST)

I don't quite understand your question. There's nothing "illegal" or
improper about omitting a semicolon after a Plot expression within a
Module.  For example,

   Module[{c}, c = 2; Print[Plot[c x, {x, 0, 1}]]]

is perfectly legal.

Perhaps your question is about a Module whose body has additional parts
of the compound expression after the Plot part, e.g."

   Module[{c}, c = 2; Plot[c x, {x, 0, 1}]; c + 2]

In this case, the red-highlighted semicolon that you'll see after the
Plot expression is not an indicator of any syntactical error -- not
"illegal" -- but a warning that you may not be getting what you expect,
namely, that the Plot expression's output will be suppressed. (Just like
if you simply typed a Plot expression alone, without any enclosing
Module, and terminated it with a semicolon.)

So what you want would be something like:

   Module[{c}, c = 2; Print[Plot[c x, {x, 0, 1}]]; 2 + 3]

The Print wrapping the Plot forces the Plot output to be shown.

Hope this helps.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305