Pattern matching in lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116096] Pattern matching in lists
  • From: "Harvey P. Dale" <hpd1 at nyu.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 06:07:02 -0500 (EST)

MemberQ easily tests whether a single integer appears in a list
of integers.  Suppose, however, that I want to test not for a single
integer but for two or more consecutive integers, e.g., to see whether
{1,4,6} is a member of {1,3,2,6,5,1,4,6,3,9}.  I can do this by
converting both lists into strings and then using string-matching
functions, but is there some way of doing it directly without that
conversion?

Thanks.

Harvey

Harvey P. Dale
University Professor of Philanthropy and the Law
Director, National Center on Philanthropy and the Law
139 MacDougal Street
New York, N.Y. 10012-1076
Tel: 212-998-6161
Fax: 212-995-3149