Re: ascii quotes in Program cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116159] Re: ascii quotes in Program cell
  • From: Tom <sherlock at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 05:34:03 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 2, 5:07 am, Mark Fisher <particlefil... at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I try to type ascii double quotes in a Program cell (default
> style sheet, Version 8, Windows) they are automatically converted into
> \[OpenCurlyDoubleQuote] etc. How can I override this behavior? I am
> flummoxed. (Also, can someone explain why this is the default behavior
> for "programs"?)
>
> --Mark

Mark,

That's the smart quotes feature.  Quote marks in text cells, like
"Program" style cells, are replaced
with properly oriented curly quotes.  You can turn off this
replacement in the Preferences dialog by
unchecking the appropriate box on the Interface tab.

Tom Sherlock
User Interfaces
Wolfram Research, Inc.