Re: Anyone know of a book on Mathematica suitable for 16-18year old?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116211] Re: Anyone know of a book on Mathematica suitable for 16-18year old?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 05:45:35 -0500 (EST)

A good answer depends a lot on exactly for what reasons the 16- to
18-year-old child is going to be learning and using Mathematica.

If to ignite a sense of discovery beyond what's ordinarily encountered
in school mathematics (at least at most U.S. high schools), then Stan
Wagon's "Mathematica in Action", 3rd edition, is a possible choice. Lots
of fascinating applications to math; but the Mathematica can get
heavy-going at times.

If, however, the primary purpose is to assist with understanding
advanced high-school and beginning college-level math, including
calculus, then a better choice might be the notebooks to be found
on-line for various courses.  Supplemented, where needed, by the
built-in Mathematica documentation.

If all that's wanted is a guide to getting started with Mathematica or
how to do some of the nuts and bolts of Mathematica as applied
especially to math, then there are a number of books suitable for that.
However, I tend not to recommend such things: I'd much rather use a book
(if I use a book at all) that's build around a context of a particular
mathematical topic or related series of topics.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305