Regarding messages with uninformative subject lines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116291] Regarding messages with uninformative subject lines
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 05:21:01 -0500 (EST)

I suggest that as long as a human (Steve) is checking over these
submissions, that messages with subject lines that do not describe the
contents be sent back to the sender. Or just deleted.

[Posts are never deleted, but I will attempt to get folks to provide
 more informative Subject entries. Perhaps readers can help out by
 providing such entries in future posts - Moderator]

For examples consider subjects

Hi
Request
Question
Help
Isn't it strange
What's wrong?!!
Mathematica version 8.0  [implicitly already the subject]

   or even
Bug  [implicitly already the subject for maybe 80% of messages]

Alternatively, but less effectively, someone ANSWERING a questions could
re-title the subject.  e.g.  Advice on Compiling.  Was re: Help
This is less effective because different re-titling could result in
several duplicative threads.

RJF