Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116317] Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0
  • From: P_ter <petervansummeren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 04:12:50 -0500 (EST)

Well, if your argument is that I should always do the same as you, that is
to particular.  And! Yes, not in business I would have bought otherwise.
So, my arguments come from a different field. Let me explain.  As a
small business I had reasons to buy this machine. And the representative
of Wolfram knew that I bought it especially for Mathematica. As far
as I could see in the platform list of Mathematica it was ok. Your
argument of "exotic machine" was not valid. The operating system was
in the list.  SUN is not dwindling for some time. It grew in software,
that is a great asset!  But it was not commercially well run. Now that
has changed. And the one who bought it already has good profit from that
part. Many had that confusion about profit and valuable assets. Not
so the business analysts.  Could that takeover be the reason of not
supporting Mathematica 8.0 anymore for this platform? The change in
ownership happened like overnight.  And I got the message just a few
months ago, nearly at the same moment. For me it means that I lost a
connection with a system suited for business.

Also, there are in many countries business  laws which state that any
business should act in good faith. The ground is that business  runs
on trust.  Any business should communicate with his customers over a
change in policy in ample time. Investment would halt if otherwise.
Clearly your argument is valid only for the single user in an academic
supported environment.  But for a business it does not bring credentials.
My point is also that even if it concerns a sinking ship, this is not
done in a policy of continuity with the customer.  If you read the
current discussion elsewhere on this forum about the home edition of
Mathematica 8.0, one can recognize that single users is an outsider
what so ever.  Once outside a business model (the university, students)
one is on its own.  I object against this attitude. The people who
support the purchase in the academic field - as a system to be used -
will think about it. It is eating up that people support.  In my case
there is some extra: from one moment to the other, the business model
changed. Beware of that. That is my message. Trust is lost.