Import and Process QuickTime

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116417] Import and Process QuickTime
  • From: Jon Rogers <jroge at mac.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 04:27:18 -0500 (EST)

I am looking for some suggestions how folks would tackle the following challenges. The process I have come up with is working, but very cumbersome due to my advanced beginner skill set.

I would like to import the individual frames of a mid-size QuickTime video (480P),  down size them to 40 pixels wide, and then return the downsized images into a grid with rows that are 24 frames wide (1 row = 1 second at 24 frames per second) and no space between the rows. I would like the entire process to happen in Mathematica.

My current approach is to export the individual frames with QuickTime Pro into a folder. Downsize all of the images in the folder using a program called Downsize, and then import the downsized images into Mathematica for formatting into the grid. Mathematica 8 should make this all a lot easier. My current code is:

frames = Import[ "FilePath", "*.jpg"];
Grid[Partition[frames, 24], Spacings -> {0, 0}]

Are there suggestions for using CUDA or parallel processing to speed things up?

Another related challenge to possibly include in the process is an analysis of the editing "beats" within the video. I have never seen this analysis before, but what I would like to do is take an average RGB value for each frame and plot those values with ListLinePlot. The plot should have a discernible change in with each edit to beat in the video. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon