Re: Fitting Experimental Data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116485] Re: Fitting Experimental Data
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 06:45:45 -0500 (EST)

Hi Mathilde,

You could save yourself a lot of trouble if you include the x values in the
data set.

You claim that the x-values are separated by 1, but is that really true?
That's not the case in the figure you sent me.

Anyway, I'll assume you have to arrays, one with the x values (let's call it
xdata; you should do this even if they are spaced with 1; otherwise you
can't cut holes in your data set) and one with the y-values (ydata). You can
transform these into x,y data pairs using

xydata = Transpose[{xdata,ydata}];

Of course, for this to work, the data points have to be in corresponding
positions in each table.

Now you remove the points corresponding to the spurious peaks from xydata.
You could do this interactively, for instance, like below:

xydata = Table[{x, 2 Sin[\[Pi] x/100] + RandomReal[]}, {x, 1,

   400}]; (* generating an example data set; use your own data set here *)

ymax = Max[xydata[[All, 2]]];

ymin = Min[xydata[[All, 2]]];

Manipulate[

If[x1b >= x1e, x1b = x1e - 1]; If[x2b >= x2e, x2b = x2e - 1];

 If[x1e >= x2b, x1e = x2b - 1];

xydataCropped =

  Join[Take[xydata, {x1b, x1e}], Take[xydata, {x2b, x2e}]];

Row[

  {

   ListLinePlot[xydata, PlotRange -> {ymin, ymax}, ImageSize -> 400,

    Epilog -> {Red,

      Line[{{x1b, ymin}, {x1b, ymax}}], {Dashed,

       Line[{{x1e, ymin}, {x1e, ymax}}]},

      Green, {Dashed, Line[{{x2b, ymin}, {x2b, ymax}}]},

      Line[{{x2e, ymin}, {x2e, ymax}}]}],

   ListLinePlot[xydataCropped, ImageSize -> 400]

   }

  ],

{{x1b, 1}, 1, Length[xydata] - 3, 1},

{{x1e, Length[xydata]/4}, 2, Length[xydata] - 2, 1},

{{x2b, Length[xydata]/2}, 3, Length[xydata] - 1, 1},

{{x2e, Length[xydata] 3/4}, 4, Length[xydata], 1}

]

As a result you now have a table named xydataCropped with only the x,y data
set you want to fit.

You can now proceed more or less as before:

fit=FindFit[xydataCropped,model,{b,a,s,m}, x, MaxIterations->100]

modelfit = Table[{x,Evaluate[model/.fit]},{x, xdata} (* note that we are
using the original x data set here, and that we are creating x,y pairs*)

This can now be ListPlotted or so, but given that you also have the
continuous fit model why don't you use that?

One final remark:

Your data looks like an FFT because of the strong symmetry in it. In an FFT
the second part of the output is just the first part mirrored. Are you sure
that fitting both gaussians makes sense? In an FFT the second part of the
output is just the first part mirrored; no extra information there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers -- Sjoerd