Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116517] Re: Another point about Mathematica 8.0
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 04:33:58 -0500 (EST)

I was right ;-) This time something I can agree with. There is just one thing I think should be added:

> Most business proprietors are in business to make money. Wolfram,
> one can assume, is also interested in making money. If you really
> think that Wolfram can make more money for himself by changing his
> business model, then he presumably would listen.

I rather doubt he would and don't see any reason why he should. I am assuming that WRI's business is doing well and that Wolfram is satisfied with the present model. (Certainly, even if only half the things alleged by AES are true he *should be* satisfied.) But in that case why should he listen to the advice of someone with no record of (comparable) success in running a business? Say, if you are a  successful professional tennis player, do you listen to a mere spectator who advises you to change your style just because *he* believes you will do even better if you do?

Andrzej Kozlowski