Re: FinancialData Function Not Working for Property "Members"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116628] Re: FinancialData Function Not Working for Property "Members"
  • From: Syd Geraghty <sydgeraghty at me.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 04:42:42 -0500 (EST)

Gregory,

To respond to your explanation:

 "But might it not have to do with Yahoo Finance not making the information available anymore as Min Hsuan Peng suggested?"

That may perhaps be true and it is central to one of my main concerns about the direction that WRI are taking with "Computable Data", "free form input", and Wolfram Alpha (W|A).

There is a tendency toward implicit guarantee of functionality away from "explicit best efforts guarantee of functionality" (which is generally well documented) in the newer product offerings such as W|A and newer features being implemented in Mathematica itself!

If something as fundamental (and clearly documented with examples in the Documentation Center) as the elementary expression FinancialData["SP500", "Members"] is not within WRI's ability to support in perpetuity then extrapolating that scenario to other third party data dependencies potentially makes development of products based on the WRI ecosystem very problematic.

I prefer to think this particular problem is just a data management bug and not systemic. Time will tell.

I still have reservations about the use of free form inputs (which inherently cannot have a documented output) and W|A results where the implication is that results are "reliable" and will continue to be "in some sense" repeatable.

I trust that we Mathematica and Wolfram | Alpha users are not on an experimental roller coaster which is being constructed in real time without a net.

Cheers .... Syd

Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.

sydgeraghty at mac.com

Mathematica 8.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (November 6, 2010)
MacOS X V 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM