making something autoexecute before normal execution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116698] making something autoexecute before normal execution
  • From: Josh Burkart <burkart at berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 06:23:14 -0500 (EST)

hello,

i'm interested in making an autosave package (since i'm always losing my work when mathematica crashes! argh). my idea was to force the kernel to execute an autosave type function, which would be no problem to code, every time the user basically presses ctrl+return to send stuff to the kernel to execute.

i know there is, for example, the $NewSymbol system function which, if set by the user, is always run whenever a new symbol is encountered. is there something similar for whenever the kernel executes anything? obviously it would have to be only when a user actually hits ctrl+return or the like, not at every level of the execution stack!

any help appreciated!
thanks,
josh b.