Numerical Solver for 2D/3D (Reaction-)Diffusion equation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115190] Numerical Solver for 2D/3D (Reaction-)Diffusion equation
  • From: Alois <alois.schloegl at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 04:22:56 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to solve numerically a 2d/3d reaction-diffusion equation
using NDSolve. The system can be solved for one spatial dimension (+
time dimension), but it does not converge for two spatial dimensions
(x,y,t). Actually, I'm trying to use polar coordinates (r, phi, t),
because the problem has a point source.

I'm using NDsolve with the following method:
Method -> {"MethodOfLines", "SpatialDiscretization" ->
{"TensorProductGrid", "Coordinates" -> myGrid}

which fails. Can you recommend a better method to solve the problem in
2D (and eventually in 3D) ?

Kind regards,
   Alois