Re: How to change the directory for the docs?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115343] Re: How to change the directory for the docs?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 03:38:42 -0500 (EST)

A wiki, controlled by WRI or outside, could be valuable. But not at the
expense of the built-in documentation, where, for example:

   - the F1 key or the >> link in a ?name output in a notebook takes you
directly to the relevant reference page;

   - you can directly execute input in a doc page, as is or when you
change it in place; and

   - you can copy input cells or groups directly into your notebook,
without any conversion difficulties.

Moreover, my experience with on-line help for other programs is that the
browser itself, however minimal, wastes valuable screen space. The
economy of the Documentation Center window surpasses that of any on-line
docs I've used.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305