Re: How to change the directory for the docs?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115425] Re: How to change the directory for the docs?
  • From: John Jowett <john.m.jowett at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:31:50 -0500 (EST)

A specific point: it is easy (and has been for a few years) to tell
Windows Desktop Search to index the Mathematica documentation.

On this thread more generally, I cannot recall encountering any
software better documented than Mathematica.  It is a vast system and
the documentation scheme, while not perfect, should be appreciated for
what it is:  a fairly precise basic description of each function,
supplemented by examples and tutorials for several generic fields of
application. The Mathematica book and other resources built upon and
within the help system (and on the Web) provide a lot of added value
and paths for learning. Just look at all the free material available
via

http://www.wolfram.com/support/learn/

Even so, I don't think one can expect it to cover all possible
applications and modes of using the system.   There are many excellent
print/electronic books on the market that can take you further in
specific directions.  And Mathgroup, here, is very valuable.  There
has already been at least one attempt at making a Wiki
http://www.mathematica-users.org/webMathematica/wiki/

John Jowett