Caution on BibTex references with Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115506] Caution on BibTex references with Mathematica
  • From: Todd Allen <genesplicer28 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 03:25:26 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

   I just wanted to share a recent experience using Mathematica 8's new citation management functionality.  I run Mathematica under Window's XP (32 bit) and was excited when Mathematica 8 was released to see documentation indicating that it could accept BibTex citations.

   I maintain my own reference database using a piece of open source software called JabRef (http://jabref.sourceforge.net/) which is very nice.  Unfortunately, I was never able to get Mathematica to successfully read my bibliography database.

    When I contacted technical support about it, and provided test data for them, I eventually received the following response:

"I apologize for the length of time that's been required for this. We're
still working on figuring it completely. We know that bibtex entries which
have inline latex often has some issues. Inline latex is processed but some
of the kinks have yet to be worked out. Your example has been sent to the
developer in charge of this area, and hopefully in the next release we will
have smoother integration of Bibtex into Mathematica."

    It appears that there is still significant work needed to make this functionality really robust in Mathematica.  Be careful if you invest significant time into this.

    Anyone else have experience on this?

Best regards,
Todd