Re: Units question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115555] Re: Units question
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 06:19:43 -0500 (EST)

Dimensions aren't numbers, so being positive doesn't make sense. It is a just convenient to say that they are positive to trick Sqrt and the like. In some cases using this is better than using PowerExpand since PowerExpand would affect the treatment of variables not just the dimensions. You can handle all of the dimensions at once:

Needs["Units`"]

simplifyUnits = ToExpression[# <> " > 0" & /@ Names["Units`*"]];

Simplify[Sqrt[Meter^2/Second^2] Second/Meter^2, simplifyUnits]

1/Meter

Bob Hanlon

---- Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:

Even after loading the Units package, Mathematica doesn't know that
Meter and Second are positive.

My naive sense is that this is just plain stupid. Am I missing something
here?

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305