Re: Help with non-linear system of equations (Trigonometric and Polynomial)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115697] Re: Help with non-linear system of equations (Trigonometric and Polynomial)
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 05:53:12 -0500 (EST)

You're looking at a conic section of an oblique cone with the line Pl-
Pc as its axis, for A to be a constant. You might want to look up some
texts on conic sections, quadrics, matrix representations of quadrics
and coordinate transformations and so.

You would also need to fit an ellipse to your six points. If you're
using experimental data for the points, your original set of equations
wouldn't have a solution, since that would require the points to lie
on the ellipse with infinite precision. So fit first, then use the
fit's parameters further on in the process.

Cheers -- Sjoerd