Re: question about CUDA

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115677] Re: question about CUDA
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 05:49:19 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

this is not possible for one obvious and several other reasons.
The obvious one is, that it is not implemented and *maybe* will never be
for several reasons.
You cannot think of CUDA as some kind of extension which allows you to
run Mathematica code on the faster graphics card. Every function has to
be separately implemented for CUDA.

The version 8 Mathematica has several function which use CUDA, mainly
for image processing and for matrix operations. Find an overview in the
doc-center here

CUDALink/guide/CUDALink

CUDA is best used for highly "data-parallel" algorithms [1] which is, as
far as I can say, not the case for Solve.

Cheers
Patrick

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_parallelism