Re: SetOptions does not work with Grid

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115779] Re: SetOptions does not work with Grid
  • From: István Zachar <zac at freemail.hu>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 06:32:11 -0500 (EST)

On Jan 19, 11:27 am, Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychu... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jan 18, 9:52 pm, Istv=E1n Zachar <z... at freemail.hu> wrote:
>

> > Can anyone at least confirm this behaviour?
> > Istvan
>
> > On Jan 13, 9:24 am, Istv=E1n Zachar <z... at freemail.hu> wrote:
>
> > > Dear Group
>
> > > SetOptions is notoriously ignorant in case of some functions, like
> > > Grid, see code below. First grid appears without a a frame, though it
> > > should have one. Is it a bug? Is there a workaround other than
> > > Untprotecting Grid and use Options[Grid] = {new options..}?
>
> > > SetOptions[Grid, Frame -> All];
> > > Grid[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}}]
> > > Grid[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}}, Frame -> All]
>
> > > Istv=E1n
>
> As it happens I just asked tech support today why SetOptions doesn't
> work with Grid (or Column) but does work with Row. The answer was that
> Row is a RowBox and Grid and Column are GridBoxes. "GridBox does not
> support SetOptions"
>
> In other words it doesn't work because SetOptions isn't supported but
> no explanation of why SetOptions isn't, or can't be, supported.
>
> Interestingly to demonstrate this behaviour of GridBox the response
> was first to Options[GridBox], to show the options, then
> SetOptions[GridBox] to get the message. Then do the same for RowBox.
>
> When you do that you see that the system tells you GridBox has options
> but you cant SetOptions (you get a message), whereas RowBox doesn't
> have options (empty list) but you can SetOptions!
>
> I've found a few other cases of SetOptions not working. I'll gather
> them and post them to the group.
>
> Mike

Thanks for the information Mike, this makes the situation clear to me.
Long since I have the feeling that in some cases SetOptions does
nothing at all, but could not narrow down this hunch to GridBox
objects. There are/were some cases, I recall, when certain plots
failed to accept option changes, but that was caused by bad
programming inside these functions, and not something that is a well
defined and (I think) intended behaviour, like the 'impairedness' of
GridBox. I can only hope that this will be improved in future
releases.

As a matter of fact, I use Mathematica 8.0.0.0 under Win7 (64-bit).

Istvan