Re: implementation for Binarize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116031] Re: implementation for Binarize
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:41:53 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

no, you cannot see the internal implementation of Binarize, but all
implemented methods are well known and you can look in the publications.
A list of all methods can be found under "MORE INFORMATION" on the
help-page of FindThreshold.

img = ExampleData[{"TestImage", "Lena"}];
Binarize[img, Method -> #] & /@ {{"BlackFraction", 0.5}, "Cluster",
  "Entropy", "Mean", "Median", "MinimumError"}

All your own ideas can be implemented really fast by using ImageData to
access the pixel-values and calculate your threshold. If it is a global
threshold, then you can use Binarize[img, thresh] to create a binarized
version of the image with your found threshold.

Cheers
Patrick