Help with old Mathematica file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119960] Help with old Mathematica file
  • From: Zsolt Ero <zsolt.ero at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 04:50:58 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to solve a problem, for what I finally found a book what has some Mathematica files supplied, but I am stuck now as I cannot run the file.

My problem is that I cannot run the program as it is written in Mathematica 3.0 and I don't know what should I change to make it run under today's Mathematica versions. Here is the error it returns.

> FindMinimum::fmgz: Encountered a
> gradient that is effectively zero. The
> result returned may not be a minimum;
> it may be a maximum or a saddle point.

The file is called Programs\MOTIPOIN.NB in this file: http://bit.ly/lMQh1K

or alternatively, here is a pastebin for the code in question: http://pastebin.com/ASBXnVVS

Can you have a look at what could be wrong with the code? Its only 50 lines, but I don't know how to fix it.