Re: How to write a "proper" math document

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119974] Re: How to write a "proper" math document
  • From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 05:02:53 -0400 (EDT)

Mathematica is probably the best environment for what Donald Knuth would term Literate Mathematics or Engineering.  It allows comments in rich text and typeset mathematics in the same document as functional code, data, live plots, and now interactive demos.  The only other product that comes close uses another M product with LaTeX, but Mathematica has the edge over that one with the interactive demos.

This is important to me as the director of a research department.  I am trying to find ways to get my engineers to document their work.  As long as writing documentation is a separate operation from doing work (calculations, data crunching) it will always take the back seat.  However, if documenting is concurrent with working I don't have to tell anybody to go back and finish the job.

Daniel