Re: Numerical accuracy/precision - this is a bug or a feature?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120020] Re: Numerical accuracy/precision - this is a bug or a feature?
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at umbc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 05:39:23 -0400 (EDT)

Well, I certainly disagree with your assessment. The rules regarding
exact and machine precision numbers are straightforward and stated in
the documentation. But if you feel that the MS Windows Calculator is a
better option, by all means use that. It is free and easy to use.

2.0 is not an integer nor a rational, it is machine precision. On the
other hand 2 is an integer and exact.

As far as whether or not 2.0 should be considered as 2.0+-0.1 or as
2.000..., 2.0 is a machine precision number, which means
2.000000000000000 or as close as you can get in about 16 places. Telling
Mathematica that you want 20 places is somewhat like asking Mathematica to give more
accuracy *after* the calculation is finished. At any rate my friend
David Park reminded me that you can specify your 2.0 to 20 places with
the following:

2.0`20
Precision[%]

20.