Re: Can I use NonlinearModelFit to model some data with a piece wise linear function??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120024] Re: Can I use NonlinearModelFit to model some data with a piece wise linear function??
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 05:40:05 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/5/11 at 5:10 AM, morris.pearl at gmail.com (Morris Pearl) wrote:

>Thanks to both responders for the suggestion.  That does indeed work
>much better.
>
>Is there some place in the documentation with information about that
>option, and what it does?

Yes.

First, the documentation for NonlinearModelFit shows NMimimize
is an available method. Next, there is documentation for
NMinimize that describes what it does. Finally, there are two
tutorials on optimization that provide considerable details on
NMimimize and other optimization functions in Mathematica.

All of the above information can be readily found in the
documentation center starting with the documentation page for
NonlinearModelFit and following the appropriate links.