Re: numeric Groebner bases et al [Was Re: Numerical accuracy/precision - this is a bug or a feature?]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120312] Re: numeric Groebner bases et al [Was Re: Numerical accuracy/precision - this is a bug or a feature?]
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 06:14:39 -0400 (EDT)

> Brief history; Around 1994 Kiyoshi Shirayanaga wrote about an
> implementation of such inside Maple. As I'd been working on a new GB
> implementation for Mathematica 3, and as his article discussed various
> tactics that amounted to an emulation of significance tracking, I
> thought I would try to put this into the new release.

Correction (to author's name) and reference:

K. Shirayanagi. Floating point Gr\o"bner bases. Math. Comput. Simulation, 42:509-528. 1996.

It was an earlier version of this paper that I had first seen (published elsewhere), and to which I referred.

Anecdotal tangent to thread: In that earlier version of the article there was biographical information provided which included date of birth of authors. Wherein I learned that KS was born one day after me. Except he is from the Japanese side of the International Date Line, hence possibly (in a sense) born the same day, and perhaps my elder.

As it happens, I possess a photostat of my "Certificate of Birth Registration". (This is the document Donald Trump had recently wished to see, and claimed probably did not exist, in the case of President Obama, greatly accelerating his political career in the process*.) It indicates clearly that I was foisted on an unsuspecting public in the early morning hours Eastern Standard Time. So we do not need general relativity to prove I am older than said author (for those who care about such things).

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research

*Start to finish in a few brief weeks. This is an accomplishment that many politician take decades to achieve. Mr. Trump is not known for his patience.