Re: Solve never calls Equal?

On 18 Jul 2011, at 12:14, Richard Fateman wrote:

> Clearly one cannot, in general, find an
> exact solution to a transcendental equation using rational arithmetic,

> so I was a little surprised by Reduce working just fine, here.

Of course one does not use "arithmetic". You still don't understand what
is going on here, but I am now at an airport during a break in a long
flight so won't be able to educated you how it is really done (and why
your fix "works") just yet. But if you ask nicely, maybe in the future
;-)

Andrzej Kozlowski