Re: Numerical accuracy/precision - this is a bug or a feature?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120321] Re: Numerical accuracy/precision - this is a bug or a feature?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 06:54:38 -0400 (EDT)

Mathematica will not allow you to prove that 1 == 0. It says False!

Perhaps you, a human, would wish to deduce something opposite, from
results that are contrary to other conventions or expectation. But
still, Mathematica knows what's what here.  And even that 2 + 2 == 7 is
False.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305