Re: Interpolation problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120353] Re: Interpolation problems
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 07:00:24 -0400 (EDT)

If you have difficulty finding a single functional form that fits your
data well enough to serve as an interpolation (cf. suggestions by Ray
Koopman and Jay Bee), you could try one of the following two approaches:

1. Expand your data in a basis of smooth, preferably analytic and
orthogonal functions, then sample values from the sum of basis functions
with whatever resolution you require. The documentation for LeastSquares
gives an example of how this could be done using piecewise cubic
functions, though I might choose Gaussians for this purpose.

2. Use a moving-window polynomial fit to obtain a piecewise approximation
while preserving higher derivatives, then sample the fitted polynomials.
This might be done via a generalization of the Savitzky-Golay method.

Both of these approaches should work reasonably well without too much
fine-tuning for the specific dataset, and both can be implemented
efficiently using standard linear algebra techniques, so a choice between
them would mainly be down to your preferences as to which you prefer to
program.