TransformedDistribution -- odd problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120465] TransformedDistribution -- odd problem
  • From: paulvonhippel at yahoo <paulvonhippel at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 03:19:57 -0400 (EDT)

I'm having a very strange problem with TransformedDistribution, where
I can calculate the mean of an F distribution but I cannot calculate
the mean of a constant multiplied by an F distribution. That is, if I
type

 Mean[TransformedDistribution[F, F \[Distributed]
FRatioDistribution[v, v]]]

Mathematica gives me an answer. But if I type

 Mean[TransformedDistribution[k*F ,  F \[Distributed]
FRatioDistribution[v, v]]]

Mathematica just echoes the input. I swear I got an answer for the
second expression earlier today. What am I doing wrong?