Re: CDF Files Break when being mailed or uploaded

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120472] Re: CDF Files Break when being mailed or uploaded
  • From: Helen Read <readhpr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:27:19 -0400 (EDT)

On 7/23/2011 8:25 PM, Markus wrote:
> Hi I have created a Computable Document File with a Barchart. When I
> transfer the file to a machine using a flash drive or over the office
> network the receiver can read the file with the CDF reader and
> everything looks good. However if I email or ftp the file to another
> location the barchart is broken. Does anyone have any ideas?

Your FTP client and email client (or web server, if you are using
webmail) may be sending the CDF files as ASCII, which is often the
default if the file type is not recognized, and may be throwing in extra
line breaks that wreck the file.

Try setting your FTP client to send CDF files (or all files, for that
matter) as Binary.

As for email, if it is webmail, ask your Sys Admin to set a Mime type
for CDF so that it is recognized as an application.

If you are using some an e-mail client (Outlook or whatever), you may
have to look around in the settings to see how it handles attachments.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont