Dt@x@1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119378] Dt@x@1
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 04:33:26 -0400 (EDT)

Why does Dt@x@1 return zero? I would expect it to return unevaluated.
I noticed this when trying to use expressions similar to D[x@1,y] and
kept receiving zero as the answer. The same "problem" occurs with
multidimensional input.

What should I be doing if I want to generate and symbolically work
with the Jacobian of a multidimensional coordinate transformation? Do
I have to generate unique symbols for every dimension?

I noticed that in the Jacobian article on Mathworld, the notebook uses
Subscript in the symbolic expressions (eww).

In[41]:= $Version

Out[41]= "8.0 for Microsoft Windows (32-bit) (November 7, 2010)"

Thanks,
--
http://chris.chiasson.name