Re: Mapping to Create Nested Loops

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119430] Re: Mapping to Create Nested Loops
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:12:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Szabolcs,

AFAIK, it is safe, as long as inner pure anonymous  function is totally
contained in the outer, being
passed as an argument. Here is one relevant mathgroup thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/7688b58dbd9450b7

Regarding pure functions with named arguments, I try to avoid them because
the functional abstraction
is generally leaky in Mathematica. I pointed this out here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/115b073d95999ae8

and also discussed here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4920194/using-nested-slots/4922776#4922776

You may also look at the bottom of this post:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4430998/mathematica-what-is-symbolic-programming/4435720#4435720

for a really short but instructive example illustrating the problem.

Cheers,
Leonid