Re: Workbench - Recommendation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119431] Re: Workbench - Recommendation?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 19:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

As a broad rule, I'd say that there's little need to use Workbench
unless you're developing Mathematica applications to distribute to
others to use -- especially if you're developing packages along with the
same kind of documentation as Wolfram provides with Mathematica itself
(with separate function ref pages, tutorials, etc.)

Otherwise, just use Mathematica itself, including available debugging
methodology and tools and in-notebook text cells and notebook
organization (sections, subsections, etc.) for structuring and documenting.

If you are doing development for applications to distribute to others,
then you have to decide whether you want the additional task of learning
Workbench. If you are already quite familiar with Eclipse, upon which
Workbench is built, that makes the learning curve more gentle.

Otherwise, spend your time learning Mathematica itself.

Just my 2 cents!

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305