Re: FindCurvePath causes a crash

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119465] Re: FindCurvePath causes a crash
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 07:02:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Hello everyone. I am in need of assistance regarding the FindCurvePath
> method.
>
> I have a group of points that I need to put in successive order. I've
> used FindCurvePath for that purpose. It has worked so far but now it's
> suddenly causing problems.

Suddenly? Does it now cause problems on input that was o.k. before? That
would be very strange...

> It takes a much longer time to work and
> then it says it ran into a problem. Not only does it fail to give me
> results, it also deletes all the variables I've created so far.

I don't think that it has the power to do so, but more likely the kernel
just dies, which looks like a bug.

> Luckily I use the DumpSave function so I didn't lose any data but I
> easily could.
>
> I've tried to order the points manually but now I've come to a case
> that I simply cannot order by hand. I need to have FindCurvePath
> working otherwise I cannot finish my assignment.
>
> I hope you will be able to help me on this.

Unfortunately without any code or examples it's hard to tell: for the
usual toy examples FindCurvePath works alright so it would be necessary
to at least have an example which makes it crash. If it really makes the
Kernel crash, you also should send such an example to WRI so they can
have a look at it and fix it (I think a silent kernel crash will always
count as a bug :-).

hth,

albert