Re: problems with strings mixed into notebook cells

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119464] Re: problems with strings mixed into notebook cells
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 07:02:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Since I cannot find any other reports,
> and I cannot offer a simple replication,
> I anticipate widespread disbelief of the following claim.
> Oh well ....
>
> I have a notebook.
> Some cells contain a dozen expressions.
> I started inserting some Print commands to help me identify the output.
> Mathematica occasionally (but pretty often) would then tell me that
> I'm missing
> parenthesis in a subsequent expression.  (I think but am not certain
> that this
> usually happened with more than one Print command in a cell.)
> Removing the Print command (and its argument) removed the problem.
>
> So I stopped using such Print commands.
> But today I wanted some clues again, so I just inserted
> some strings (without Print commands).
> The same problem happened again: Mathematica stopped
> evaluating the subsequent statement, claiming it was missing
> a parenthesis.  I changed the string to a comment
> (making no other changes) and the problem went away.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?

No, not what you are seeing, but once in a while I have seen strange
errors message although the code in cells looks alright. The reason has
almost always been something "hidden" in the underlying cell expression.
Unfortunately these errors do propagate with copy and paste to other
cells. You could try "Cell" -> "Show Expression" from the menu for one
of those cells to find the cause, but that needs some understanding of
the underlying boxes. An alternative is to use "Cell" -> "Convert To" ->
"InputForm". Make a backup of your notebook before you do so, since it
will destroy your formatting, but it usually also shows what the problem is.

hth,

albert