Using Cases or Position to Find Strings in a List of Strings

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119514] Using Cases or Position to Find Strings in a List of Strings
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 06:48:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

I have a list of strings called myListOfFilePaths and I want to find
which one of those strings ends in ".DS_Store" (a hidden file created by
the Mac OS).  I can pick it off using Select as

	Select[myListOfFilePaths, StringMatchQ[#, ___ ~~ ".DS_Store" ~~
EndOfString] &]

but I can't do it using Cases or Position

	Cases[myListOfFilePaths, ___ ~~ ".DS_Store" ~~ EndOfString]

	Position[myListOfFilePaths, ___ ~~ ".DS_Store" ~~ EndOfString]

despite the fact that Head[___ ~~ ".DS_Store" ~~ EndOfString] is StringExpression.  What am I doing wrong?

	Regards,

	Gregory