Problem with just installed Mathematica 8, perhaps JLink related...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119506] Problem with just installed Mathematica 8, perhaps JLink related...
  • From: Giacomo Monari <monari at astro.rug.nl>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 06:46:56 -0400 (EDT)

Dear all,

I downloaded yesterday a copy on Mathematica 8 on my MacBook Pro OS 10.6.7
The copy is regularly registered, as I could check also on the Mathematica website.

When I launch Mathematica first thing that appears is the window "Wolfram Product Registration", but with unreadable text (except for the button "Register now") and when I move the arrow on the hidden text a message appears stating:
"This dynamic content could not be displayed in Wolfram CDF Player
To display this content requires Mathematica
Wolfram CDF Player can only display very special content (e.g. the Wolfram demonstration project)."
It wouldn't be a big deal, except that this window doesn't disappear, even if I click on "Register now" button. Then I can't do very much else: I can open all Mathematica menus, even create a new Notebook, but then I can't use it...

The first time I used Mathematica 8 I also got a message about some JLink problems. Maybe it's related, but now it doesn't show anymore. I tried to switch Java to 64 to 32 bit, as suggested by someone in the past, but no result so far...

Please, help me!

Thanks in advance,
Giacomo