Re: How show axes labels with AxesOrigin->{0,0,0} in 3D?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119503] Re: How show axes labels with AxesOrigin->{0,0,0} in 3D?
  • From: Robert Rosenbaum <robertr at math.uh.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 06:46:24 -0400 (EDT)

Running your example on my Mathematica 7 in OS X, the axes labels appear, but are small and difficult to distinguish from the mesh lines on the surface.  I hazard to guess that they appear on your machine too, but you failed to detect them by eye.

The following modification makes the labels more apparent:

mystyle = {Red, 16};
Plot3D[x^2 - y^2, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, AxesOrigin -> {0, 0, 0},
 AxesLabel -> {Style["x", mystyle], Style["y", mystyle],
   Style["z", mystyle]}, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1}, Boxed -> False,
 MeshStyle -> None]

Incidentally, your example makes a reasonable argument against using axes that emanate from the origin.  Of course, if axes labels were placed at the ends of the axes instead of along the axes, they would be easier to see in your example.  Perhaps there is a way to accomplish this.

On Jun 6, 2011, at 5:23 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> Since Mathematica 7, 3D graphics has allowed the AxesOrigin option so
> that, for example, the axes can go through the origin {0,0,0}, just like
> the way that mathematicians (or at least college calculus teachers) do
> it and teach their students to do it.
>
> That works, but...
>
> If you include an AxesLabel option, the labels do not appear, e.g., from:
>
>    Plot3D[x^2 - y^2, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},
>           AxesOrigin -> {0, 0, 0},
>           AxesLabel -> {x, y, z},
>           BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1}, Boxed -> False]
>
> Is there some way to make the axes labels appear (other than to add them
> manually using the Text function, say in an Epilog)?
>
> [And is this just another instance of WRI protracted stubbornness even
> in admitting that having 3D axes emanating from the origin is a
> permissible way of handling 3D graphics?  (Scientific/engineering
> convention seems overwhelmingly to favor axes along edges of a 3D
> graphic, whereas in math -- as I suggested, at least in multivariable
> calculus -- axes emanating from the origin is the norm.)
>
> --
> Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts                413 545-2859 (W)
> 710 North Pleasant Street            fax   413 545-1801
> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

Best,
Robert