Re: Seaching in Pi a sequence. Looking for a faster method

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119590] Re: Seaching in Pi a sequence. Looking for a faster method
  • From: Phil J Taylor <xptaylor at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 03:59:35 -0400 (EDT)

I made a couple of minor modifications after noticing problems with
Feynman's Point and patterns that begin with zeros. I'm not sure why, but
searching for 9999998 didn't return correct results until I added the
_Integer qualifier to the start and end rules. I haven't fixed the leading
zeros problem. Just put the pattern in quotes.

(* loosely validated at http://www.angio.net/pi/bigpi.cgi *)

piStringSearch[n_, s_, c_] :=
 Module[{piString = ToString[N[Pi, n]]},
  StringPosition[piString, ToString[s],
    c] /. {start_Integer, end_Integer} :> start - 2]

piStringSearch[10^5, "00000", 100]

{17534}