Partition a list based on columns

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119660] Partition a list based on columns
  • From: StatsMath <stats.math8 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 04:02:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

I am looking for help in partition a list based on columns. For ex,
given a list {{3,1},{2,4}}, I want to sort it and then partition it
along columns.

So for the given example, I want the answer to be, {{1,3},{2,4}}.

Right now If I try, Partition[Sort[Flatten[{{3,1},{2,4}}]]],2], I get
{{1,2},{3,4}}.

Looking at doc for Partition[], it doesn't seem to support aligning
rows on columns. I can do it in a For[] loop, but that seems un-
mathematica like, is there a good functional way to do this??

What would be a good way to line up elements in a list in a diagonal
fashion, for ex: from Range[9] want to create the follwing matrix:

1 2 4
3 5 7
6 8 9

Thanks in advance!