Re: Export a Grid[] object without loosing it's format

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119837] Re: Export a Grid[] object without loosing it's format
  • From: Helen Read <readhpr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 07:48:10 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/23/2011 7:27 AM, Cupidio wrote:
> Hi,
> I am experiencing some problems when I try to export to a PDF file a
> Grid[] object. The grid is quite big, with graphics, text and other
> grids nested in it. It is perfectly formatted within the mathematica
> notebook, but when I export it to PDF it becomes a complete mess. Also
> "printing" to PDF doesn't work.
>
> Is there a way to have it exported exactly as it looks like within the
> notebook, in a PDF or EPS file?
>
> I got some results by exporting it to a BMP file, specifing the size
> with ImageSize, but the file produced is too big, and that's not
> vector graphics! And it seems that I can't use ImageSize when
> exporting to PDF...

I have had a lot of issues with esporting large grids to PDF, which I
brought up on this forum last December or January. The problem was that
the entire Grid got stuffed into one 8.5" by 11" page, resulting in an
extremely long, narrow grid with tiny fonts etc., in a very bad aspect
ratio. I could find no way to get Mathematica to put in page breaks when
creating the PDF.

I finally resorted to using CreateDocument and NotebookPrint, like this.

path=NotebookDirectory[];
nb = CreateDocument[grid, PageBreakWithin -> True, Visible -> False];
NotebookPrint[nb, path <> "\\filename.pdf"]

(* Where grid is the name of the Grid, and filename.pdf is the desired
filename.*)

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont