Re: C code generation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119948] Re: C code generation
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 20:41:39 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/29/2011 2:34 PM, Shane Di Dona wrote:
> Is there a way to make Mathematica generate C code for functions such as Position[] and MemberQ[]?

  I am writing a program for CUDAlink and would like not to have to
reinvent the wheel (in C)

on these somewhat basic functions.

1. Code for a similar program for position and member can be found in
other languages, though really, it should be easy to write yourself.
2. A full implementation of Position and MemberQ requires that you allow
for the possibility of searching for a pattern, and so you would have to
(re) implement Mathematica's matching.  I doubt you want to do that.
3. While I am not familiar with CUDAlink, it seems to me unlikely that
copying a (long?) list into a graphics processor to test for membership
is a really bad idea. A worse idea would be, I suppose, NOT copying the
list into the graphics processor.  My suggestion: Read up on hash
tables. Suggestion 2: If you are in a hurry, don't use Mathematica.

RJF