ColorFunction in ListPlot for points

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116895] ColorFunction in ListPlot for points
  • From: István Zachar <zac at freemail.hu>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 03:36:28 -0500 (EST)

Dear Group,

A well known fact is that ColorFunction does not apply to points in
ListPlot:

ListPlot[{#, #} & /@ Range@10, PlotStyle -> {AbsolutePointSize@15},
ColorFunction -> (Hue[#2/10] &)]
ListPlot[{{#, #}} & /@ Range@10, PlotStyle -> ({AbsolutePointSize@15,
Hue[#/10]} & /@ Range@10)]
DiscretePlot[i, {i, 10}, PlotStyle -> {AbsolutePointSize@15},
ColorFunction -> (Hue[#2] &)]

The Documentation Center for ListPlot | Options | ColorFunction states
that:

"ColorFunction requires at least one dataset to be Joined"

I am fully aware of the possible workarounds, so no solution is
required, it's just the cause I don't see here. Is there some kind of
drawback to assign the color function directly to points, not just
line segments? Was this an intentional choice during development at
Wolfram? Why then? Furthermore, DiscretePlot seems to be able to
handle this task successfully...

Any idea?
Istvan