Re: plot error messages are completelly missing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116955] Re: plot error messages are completelly missing
  • From: Alexey <lehin.p at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 06:08:27 -0500 (EST)

On 4 March, 13:38, Helen Read <readhpr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/3/2011 6:05 AM, john wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > Apologies if this isn't the proper way to submit, it seemed to be from
> >http://smc.vnet.net/MathGroup.html
>
> > This is a late reply on the subject which came up Sep 10 2007!
>
> > Using Mathematica 8 recently, I was working with a complicated function, which
> > I'd Plot[]ted.  None of the results I was getting made sense.  Eventually, I
> > discovered that where the function appeared to be zero in the plot it was
> > actually imaginary, and everything fell into place.  I hadn't considered this
> > possibility because I've been used to the Plot[] behaviour of version 5.2 (and
 > > previous versions) where error messages reported the function not being=
 real.

> > So, I strongly agree with Szabolcs comment that there should be a message for
> > complex numbers/infinity.  Personally, I think error messages should be on by
> > default.  I want to know when things are going wrong, and not be left believing
> > misleading information.
>
> I completely disagree on that. In the old days, something like
> Plot[{x^2,Sqrt[x]},{x,-5,5}] generated error messages. It was utterly
> annoying, and served no useful purpose IMHO. I'm very glad those
> messages are long gone.

I agree that having unnecessary messages when executing
Plot[{x^2,Sqrt[x]},{x,-5,5}] was annoying because there was not any
simple enough way to disable them. But in v.6 function Quiet was
introduced. It would be quite sufficient to stop with this and do not
suppress messages by default because now user can do it as simple as
adding "Quiet@" before Plot. This would be the fair solution.