Re: Please add me to this group

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117016] Re: Please add me to this group
  • From: Len Horton <hortonl at bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 05:32:04 -0500 (EST)

As a new user of Mathematica and as a purchaser of the Home Edition,
which does not include any support, I am trying to figure out how to
take data from an Excel spreadsheet into Mathematica to analyze and
graph.

I have taken a couple of free seminars on line, but I have not been able
to figure out how to do just a few basic statistical things.  Each
column in my spreadsheet is a variable.  In order to produce a histogram
of one of those variables, I had to open the spreadsheet in Excel, copy
the column, then paste it into the curly braces inside the Histogram
function, then eliminate the carriage returns manually while inserting
commas manually in order to produce the Histogram.  Surely there must be
a faster way.

In the first place, I cannot tell where to place the Excel file so that
Mathematica knows where it is.  Anything you could do to get me started
would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Len Horton
Atlanta